Thursday, June 4, 2009

A timeless game

Some of you probably read that and immediately thought baseball.... wrong. Baseball is timeless and it's been around since just after the Civil War, but thats not what I'm talking about.

It doesn't matter how young or how old you are, skill level or physical stance but golf will always be around.

Think about it though - of all the sports you can participate in, amateur or professional, golf is the one with the longest possible career. Football is the most popular but the average career is somewhere in your mid-20's. The longest career was Mort Anderson and he was near 50, but that is one guy. Basketball is short, baseball short, hockey is longer but thats because those Canucks don't know how to quit.

But you can play golf, competitively(!) even, well into your 70's. Guys are on the Senior tour cashing checks. A little more valuable than running all those gassers in the summer...

I'm not dissing on the big sports, and trust me, Golf is not a big sport. Most people could name four PGA players, not named Tiger Woods, if they tried. But I remember playing with a guy and I asked if he played in High School. He responded, "No, I was a track guy... I wish I had played golf in high school because I play a whole lot more golf in my life than I ever did pole vaulting."

No comments: