Tuesday, January 27, 2009

No Sleep

I can honestly say I have never been so tired and could not go to sleep as I was this weekend. I planned for Sunday, (the first day for seven in a row I had off) to sleep all afternoon, but to my surprise as I cuddled up in my blanket with a fire roaring in the fireplace, a cup of hot Joe in my hand, and the worlds funniest movie on the tube, (I'm referring to Dumb and Dumber) I could not relax enough to go to sleep.

I was so whipped from the previous three days of 12 hours of work that I had forgot what it was like to relax.

So now you are wondering what in the world made me so exhausted.... TOC, the Tournament of Champions, the biggest basketball tournament to hit the City of Dodge. As a first timer I had no idea what I was getting myself into... I figured it was a basketball tournament, it was games played and fans cheering and a winner pronounced at the end. Let me be the first to say it was not at all just a basketball tournament, it was a three day event.

Let me elaborate.

Day One- Five teams from Wichita, and three southwestern schools flooded the Dodge City Civic Center from 2pm until nearly 10pm. Oh and lets not forget the cheerleaders who had a competition of there own brewing. Four games with four sets of highlights for me to shoot, anchor, and then edit.

Day Two- A 7 am wake up call (which for a sports reporter is WAY to early considering we don't go to work until at least 1 in the afternoon) Any who... the wake up call is to attend area middle schools with several of the tournament teams because they are reading to the younger students. That's a story in itself, Cutest thing I have ever seen!
Moving on to the afternoon session of games... 2 and 3:30, then to the night session 7 and 8:30.
There was never a time to sit down considering there were dozens of cheerleaders flipping onto my screen at every time out and at the halves.

Day Three- Lets set a 7am wake up call again, this time for the annual TOC breakfast, (not as bad considering I knew I had biscuits and gravy waiting on me once I arrived) early none the less... The breakfast consisted of food, tired kids, and coaches, and a very famous public speaker. Ralph Terry took the podium to tell about his days as a Yankee pitcher. Lets keep in mind, he pitched in the 60's therefore, his years are well...up there. He kept the tired teams attention for a bit. Ok round three... finals... four games, screaming fans off all sorts because Dodge was going to the Championship game, and here's one better they won. As did the DC cheerleaders in the most outstanding cheer squad competition.

Now it sounds like I'm doing a lot of complaining... Let me be the first to say I am not at all! I love my job and being out in the field. I enjoyed all the games, all the cheer stunts,flips, and chants from the student section, which without tooting my own horn, I got a chant!

I'm just saying is it so much to ask to lay on the couch with a fire roaring, a hot cup of Joe, and doze off while watching a funny movie. I think not! Rest assure I did regain sleep that evening, it was an 8pm bedtime for me!

No comments: