Wednesday, January 21, 2009

You Better Call Her A Lady!

I had the privilege of meeting Emma Blachet Monday. That name means nothing outside of Hays, but with the Indians she is the first female wrestler in school history. And you better call her a lady or you will pay. Big time.

The 103-pounder is a real firecracker. She moved from Maine to be with her Mom a few years back, where she was a varsity wrestler in the Pine Tree State.

What many think is weird is the opposite to Emma. She wasn't the only female wrestler on the team back in Maine, and she went to an all girl tournament with almost 60 girls!

Most marvel at ONE girl in a gymnasium now, imagine being at that tournament.

Inevitably, I asked her if she had a boyfriend - the answer, "no, I don't date during wrestling season. It just gets in the way. I've had a boyfriend one time during wrestling season and he tried to make me quit so I said, 'no more.'"

That is dedication my friends.

Some other questions queried during the interview:

Why wrestling? "I tried basketball, but I kept fouling out, so I needed something more aggressive." Awesome.

What's the best part about wrestling? "I just like beating on boys, I guess. I like showing them I'm tough, and I love it, it's fun, it's a good workout, and a good stress reliever." Awesome.

What's the locker room situation at tournaments, where there might not be any other female participants? "Usually when we go to away tournaments, I have to change in the bathroom, and afterward they have to block off a little locker room for me to shower." Not awesome.

What are some boy's reactions to you when stepping into the ring? "Sometimes I think they are a little scared of me, sometimes they go easy and that just makes me mad and then I end up pinning them." Awesome.

Emma might be a member of a quiet trend: girl wrestlers. At the Hays Double Dual last week, Larned had TWO varsity wrestlers in different weight classes, Garden City has one, and girl wrestlers have made state several years past.

According to Indians wrestling coach John Hafliger, in ten years, Hays will have a separate girls wrestling squad, alongside the boys squad. It's in the Olympics, colleges are starting to catch on, and it's only a matter of time before high schools get the programs.

We'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: