Thursday, February 19, 2009

Go Ask Kenyon Martin....

I was in Ellsworth this week, shooting an interview with a wrestler who has a disability but is in no way shape or form disabled. Two things struck me when I was there, 1. The Ellsworth Correctional Facility is WAY too close to the high school.

Driving in off of I-70, take the state road about 10 miles in, you start seeing no hitchhiking signs. Curious as to why, you see a sign not too far past saying, "Ellsworth Correctional Facility -->" You pass that, make a few right turns, hang around the bend and you then you hit the high school. I know its easy for me to sit here and say that they should move the school or the facility, but do something.

Second thing; What in the world is a Bearcat?? It is the Ellsworth Mascot, but more famously it is also the University of Cincinnatti mascot. I see it all the time, but what in the world is it? Is it a large cat-like-animal, like a Panther with the body of a Bear? Or a Bear with the body of a Panther?

Every logo you see has a large cat face, so I assume they are trying to conjure up fear with a hybrid type animal, with twice the amount of ferocity of your average mascot. But then they use the paw for an additional logo, blurring the lines a little more. Or do you think they just ran out of ideas and didn't want to call themselves the Wildcats?

So what is a Bearcat?? Thank you Wikipedia for this glowing answer.

"A "Bearcat" is another name for a binturong, a viverrid mammal from Southeast Asia."

Interesting. Not what I figured an actual Bearcat to look like. Looks intimidating but also kind of startled when whoever took the picture, and actually looks like something they would be investigating on Monsterquest.

If you feel bored, try looking up the other links on the page. I've provided the link, because I'm just that nice of a guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearcat

**************************************************

No comments: