Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Rain, rain go away... no seriously

Excuse me while I ring out my socks... it's been a little wet lately. And now it looks like the new turf at City Stadium is paying off - no mud, no flooding and games can go on as scheduled.

The only high school stadium in these parts that is that nice is Great Bend's Memorial stadium. The AstroGrass is tight and fast and now they have a sweet looking scoreboard on the south end to cap it all off. Having witnessed a downpour on that field, I can attest to the dexterity of the playing surface.

Hays and TMP play at Lewis-Field Stadium at FHSU which has the AstroGrass and it is great for those same reasons. (But that provides no sense of home field advantage because A) it isn't on your campus, and B) you share it with two other teams.)

Other than those fields, it is grass everywhere and with the current weather - no fun. Mud everywhere, puddles in the middle of the field or on the sidelines or really everywhere because puddles do that. One wrong step and your shoes are filled with wonderful rain water. Glorious.

From my point of view, that of current non-athlete - I have no need for mud and or slash puddles but during my formative days as a young no-talent high school football player, playing on a muddy field, with puddles everywhere and everyone is sliding all over the place is the way football should be played.

I'm just afraid if the rain keeps coming, the game we know and love might be morphed into an underwater version or everygame is going to be played at City Field or Fort Hays.


No comments: