Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Few Random Thoughts From a Crazy Mind

I went down to Wellington today to do a segment with Crusaders' golfing stud Myles Miller. We shot a quick "20 questions-ish" piece with him and he was so nice, so was his coach James Ginter. Coach Ginter also told me that Myles is one of the best kids he's ever coached. It's always refreshing to hear that about high school kids we cover. I always say that I like talking to high school athletes (with very few exceptions) because they're far less jaded about life and they're usually always extremely kind. I've said it about Perry Ellis and Evan Wessell before, Blake Bell is always up there, Tiffany Bias is as stand-up an individual as you can get and today I get to add Myles Miller to the ever-growing list. I must say the kids in Wichita and the surrounding areas are some of the best I've come into contact with. I'm from the South where we boast about our Southern Hospitality as being the best in the world. Well, I still believe that but I'm putting Midwest kindness as a very very close second. The kids we have around here make it a pleasure to cover high school sports.

Got a great email the other day from Mike Strauss, one of the assistant sports information directors at the University of Kansas. It said that former Andover golfer Katy Nugent was transferring to Kansas from Arkansas. I couldn't have been happier to read that sentence! We talk a lot in our office about how frustrating it is to see all of our amazing athletes go out of state for school. Blake Bell is going to OU, Selby Polley is going to Baylor, Tiffany Bias is heading to Oklahoma State, and the list goes on. I love that Nugent is going to finish her college career at Kansas. I totally understand the kids that go out of state because they're excellent opportunities they can't possibly pass up. I just wish (and mind you this is coming from someone with no connection to either KU or KSU) that our in-state schools made a bigger push to get kids from our area. We live in a very talent-rich part of the state and Kansas universities could do themselves a huge favor by picking up a few of the high-character, skilled athletes from around here.

Finally, a blanket apology for the Catch it Kansas show last week! I did a horrible job of pronouncing people's names and I am terribly embarassed. I'm hosting again this week so I promise I won't let it happen again. I don't do it out of spite I can just be pretty bad at pronouncing names sometimes. Hope everyone watches this Friday, it will be an excellent show!

No comments: