Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Hats off to Catch it Kansas

I'm going to brag on our Catch It Kansas staff for just a few paragraphs.

I was at the Southwest Shootout Wrestling Tournament in Liberal Saturday and I had a few refs tell me how awesome they thought it was that CIK covers wrestling. They went on and on about how wrestling is a forgotten sport because basketball has long overpowered its presence in high school sports.

Those comments got me thinking about all the "smaller sports" the CIK staff covers. Bowling, swimming & diving, boys and girls tennis, boys and girls golf... Shoot I think I could list every sport that isn't football, basketball, and baseball and people would consider them "smaller sports."

I can't speak for the entire staff when I say covering smaller sports is fun, but I think it is. It's refreshing to see kids who maybe aren't physical enough to play football win a golf tournament because they have the finesse to sink a long putt. And you should see the way their faces light up when they realize they are being covered. Sometimes for TV, but for them, any coverage is great.

Not to mention, everyone has knowledge on the "bigger sports." But who can go to a wrestling tournament one time and know what in the world is going on? Not many people. Covering those "smaller sports" gives you a chance to learn things you otherwise wouldn't have really cared about.

So here's some encouragement..... If you like reading the stories about the sports you wouldn't typically go watch.... GO WATCH THEM!!! The kids would really love the support!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more!!! CIK is the only place covering our kids ... THANK YOU ..and I love the show on Friday night's on the CW!!!