Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Give it a Chance

I'll be the first to say I never really enjoy covering tennis. Sorry to all you die hard fans out there. To me it just wasn't the most fun sport out there.

I even find myself not watching the pros play. I mean if Venus or Roger were playing their final match of their career I would probably watch... but for the most part I pass on the grunts and groans that come from the skinniest of athletes as they hit the ball with all their might.

However, yesterday I covered a tri-match and to say the least, I was surprised by how much fun I had watching those boys.

Dodge hosted Garden and Great Bend so it was 5 and 6A schools, which makes for better competition. Some of those guys could really hit the ball hard.

Of course you had the occasional lobs over the net, but for the most part they were hitting the ball hard.

Andy Larkin from Garden was the most entertaining for me to watch. It seemed like his wicked serve couldn't be returned by nearly everyone he faced. He ended up getting the first place medal for the No.2 singles and helped Garden to a team win.

While I was at the courts I even found myself thinking how I might want to take up the sport. Seems like a great and fun way to break a sweat. Now I just need a partner to teach me so I don't swing and completely miss the ball. I'll keep you readers posted how my training goes!!!

I'm glad I gave it a chance!

No comments: