Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Thinking about the future

Don't get me wrong - I like baseball, softball and track and field. Those are the foundation for spring sports and a lot of prep athletes have, and will have, greater success in their chosen sport.

But I'm out of high school and I can't tell you the last time I threw a pitch, swung a bat or threw a javelin or ran a mile. (Actually, I ran one this morning at the gym) But I'll tell you what I did swing the other day and several days before that - a golf club.

It truly is the game of the future. And by future I mean your future when you get older. Like me. Everybody does it, whether they are good at it or not, it seems every former high school jock turns to golf when their playing days are over.

And if you are a prep golfer NOW, you already have a jump on the future swingers you will meet at the driving range in the coming years, when college is over.

Now, do not, I repeat DO NOT, put down your mitt or hang up your track spikes and start playing golf right now. Don't do that. But in a few years, when a couple of your friends start golfing and then you want to learn, don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments: