Wednesday, April 28, 2010

PT

I busted my knee when I was a junior in high school. Tore my ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) when I twisted my left leg in a hole during practice. Not fun.

Kaylee Hoffman did the same thing, but she did it in a game against Scott City. Further more, Hoffman is 17 times the athlete I ever was and had just signed a full-ride basketball scholarship to the University of Wyoming.

Her story, and maybe her legend, came from the 3A state basketball tournament where she played on her busted knee and helped Thomas More Prep win their first girls' basketball title.

So with all that over and done, she gets the surgery and is now rehabbing her left knee back to full strength, but here's the catch; you watch her walk around and, other than the gigantic scar on her knee, she doesn't look like she has any problems.

I hobbled around for months and dropped my crutches once and immediately picked them back up. I don't think she was ever on crutches! She is ahead of schedule with her knee work, which makes the Wyoming coaching staff very happy.

But the TMP coaching staff is still missing her on the diamond. In addition to being an all-state basketball player, Hoffman had a rare opportunity to become a four-time all-state softball player, but the knee is keeping her on bench.

She is still involved and goes to all games but she would rather be in the circle than filling out the book. And they miss her leadership, most of all. Something Wyoming will gain next season.

No comments: