Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Bryce Brown Saga part 427

Ahhhh Bryce Brown. How your stories have entertained us here in the sports office over the last couple of years. First you decide to team up with Brian Butler and make him your manager. Now, Brian has always been kind to me and he is a very nice guy in general. However, when your main qualification to manage people comes from your job as a former cell-phone store manager I have a problem.

Next came your overly dramatic college choice. This after a season at East where you fumbled the ball more than the guy in the movie The Program. You dragged it out and made it a LeBron-esque decision where you told us all you'd be wearing creamsicle-orange that fall in Knoxville. Ok ok, I get it. You are a big-time star coming out of Wichita, you're one of the top football recruits in the country and you feel entitled to making your day YOUR DAY. I get it, egos happen.

Now with your departure from Tennessee and your arrival in Manhattan you're still finding a way to make waves. From asking for your release via text message, to having your father speak to ESPN reporters only instead of the people who supported you for your 4 years of high school, you've managed to make a lot of people mad. That's a fact that upsets me because I think you and your brother Arthur are good kids that have gotten mixed up in a lot of bad decisions.

But here's the thing that confuses me the most, and maybe I have coach Snyder to blame here, but why in the world are you going to sit out a year at Kansas State? I know that Coach Snyder probably wants you to be around the program and get used to how they do things there. Maybe you just want to be around your brother again? I could understand that. My brothers live thousands of miles away from me and I'd love to live closer to them. It's a family thing, I get that. But what I don't get is why you'd give up an entire season of playing football.

If you sit out this season you'll still be able to train with the Wildcats but you won't get any game action at all. Isn't that the most important part about getting better? If you sit out this season you'll have 3 years of eligibility left and that's definitely a positive. But can you honestly tell me that you wouldn't leave early anyway for the NFL if that opportunity came up?

Maybe this idea is stupid but I only throw it out there because I was out in Towanda this morning covering Butler's pre-season practice. This team is nationally ranked every year. They've won multiple national titles and will always be in the news. Why not pull a Cameron Newton, go play for a solid ju-co team then finish your last two years at Kansas State? Afraid of getting hurt? Dez Bryant showed that could happen in practice. I think if you're really concerned about your future you should go to a ju-co, play this fall and not pay nearly as much in tuition as you will at Kansas State.

Either that or you could invent a time machine where you and your brother Arthur make the right decision right out of high school and stay in state. But who am I to advise you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish Brian Butler would just go away. It is hard to believe that he has the best interest of these kids in mind. A very suspicious character at best.

Maybe people will see how this situation with one of his marquee players is playing out and stay far away from Brian Butler.

Anonymous said...

Lets not pretend like this kid doesn't understand what's going on. He wants attention and knows this is how to get it. Just like he got attention by drawing out his decision to go to Tennessee, he's drawing out the process of dealing with the NCAA by refusing to talk about Kiffin's recruiting while waiting on the transfer ruling.

He's had an ego for a long time, this is nothing new.

As a K-State fan, I have to admit I'm not at all thrilled about Bryce Brown coming to Manhattan. Jenn can blame Coach Snyder all she wants for his not playing in Juco, but I can guarantee that he isn't paying for ANY of his schooling no matter were he goes, so making that statement is ridiculous.

Anyone who knows ANYTHING about college football knows that a 5-star recruit out of high school isn't paying his own way (regardless of prior drama w/ recruiting, etc.). And when it comes to sitting out a year, I would rather practice with the team I want to finish my career with than live in El Dorado, Kansas. Just saying.