Sunday, August 1, 2010

"Shrining" Moment

I realize I am late to the party, but having just recently met Josh Smith at the Shrine Bowl practice, watching Smith score three touchdowns against the East squad and grabbing West MVP honors, I was ecstatic.

Couldn't have happened to a more grounded kid. No surprise the KU coaches wanted him on their team.

But I am troubled that he is only receiving a walk-on offer. I understand his size is an issue, fine. He isn't that tall, but neither were a lot of great college players. The kid ran for over 300 yards against Bishop Carroll - in the playoffs!!! And that wasn't a fluke. He did it all season. Ask all of Hutchinson's opponents.

The point is he is effective. The West loses to the East last night without Smith. No question.

It will be interesting to see how much run he gets in Lawrence. Good luck to Josh Smith with the Jayhawks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No kidding! Could not agree more. I predict he will have an impact by his Junior year at KU.