Friday, February 12, 2010

Random Stuff

Scatterbrained thoughts from the scattered brain…

To Jenn and the West High community. If the 6-game winning streak comes to an end tonight and this resurgent season goes in the tank, I take full responsibility. I did a "Rising Star" feature on the Pioneers' recent boys basketball success (as many wins in the last three weeks as they'd had in the previous three years combined!), recognizing the jinx possibilities that might ensue. But this seemed like too good a story not to tell.

***

I’ve been meaning to throw this into a blog but keep forgetting. Cross country and track are notorious for team t-shirts with slogans, ranging from inspirational to snappy to hokey to all of the above. The most creative I’ve ever seen belongs to Wichita Northwest for the simple yet effective “Bringing XC Back.” Two years too late, maybe, but still very funny.

***

Random thoughts that pop in my head while covering high school basketball #158: If every City League girls basketball player were simultaneously injured and each school’s respective cheerleading squad had to step in to finish out the schedule, which team would be the best?

I went with Heights because there are so many of them, and they seem like they would be scrappy. Thoughts?

Cheerleaders playing hoops wouldn’t be a bad thing, necessarily. Human pyramids make it easier to get to the rim… assuming that’s not illegal for some reason.

***

I finally got to see Bishop Carroll’s new gym last week. I stuck my head through the window while it was under construction last year, but this was my first experience with it on game day. Color me impressed. I love the new dug out gyms with walkways around the top. Especially when they incorporate seating behind the basket. There aren’t too many gyms in Kansas that have bleachers all the way around. I can think of a few (Halstead, Hesston, El Dorado, McPherson, North). I know I left a bunch out, but you get the idea. There aren’t many. Having that makes a gym feel more like an arena. Big time. Good job Carroll. I hope Kapaun’s turns out similar. Ditto for the new Wichita schools when they open.

No comments: