Friday, February 19, 2010

We're Just Not That Into It

There's a reason why the four major sports in America are the four major sports in America. Well, I think the NHL could be considered a 'fringe major sport' but that's a topic for another time. The reason they're considered major sports is because baseball, football and basketball are sports that most everyone in America grew up playing or watching in one form or another. I went to my first baseball game when I was a month old and played my first tee-ball game when I was 4. My brothers and I played every sport imaginable from soccer to baseball and basketball, volleyball for me and football for my brothers. My brother Greg was also big into track placing third in state in the pole vault. My oldest brother Doug could've gone to college on a golf scholarship but chose to take his scholarship to Florida State for baseball instead. When it comes to 'running the sports gamut' my brothers and I have done a lot. You know what, I'll even come clean and admit that I was a cheerleader for two years, two horrible drama-filled years.

However, in my 25 years of sports experience I was never, ever a swimmer. Nor was I a diver. In fact, I'm very very afraid of heights so even getting to the top of the high dive was an accomplishment (it took me quite a while to actually jump off the high dive, baby steps you know?). Anyway, we had a big discussion last night about this weekend's swim and dive tournament in Topeka. In that discussion not one of us could tell you what a good time was in swimming or what a good score was in diving.

I may have just admitted something kind of bad for a sports department but seriously, how many people out there can look at a kid's swimming time and go, "Oh my gosh that's absolutely phenomenal! What an amazing swim!"

So today the point of my blog was supposed to be looking into what a good time for swimming was and try to liken it to say, running a mile. Everyone has run a mile in their lives but not everyone has swam 500 meters. I'm not even sure that equals a mile; I'm really bad with math and conversions. But I wouldn't mind getting a little help from my friends out there in the Catch It Kansas Blog viewing world. I know there have to be tens of you.

Again, here's my question: What exactly is a good swimming time for a high school kid and is it possible to liken it to a sport most everyone has competed in at some point in their lives? For example: Jenn swimming the 500 in 10 minutes is like Jenn running a mile in ______ minutes. Help please?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jenn before you say you know nothing about a sport shouldn't you go watch it? As for what is a good time for a 500yd swim compared to running hmmmmmmmmmmmmm try 5 minutes 500 to a 11 minute 2 mile that would only be my opinion as the parent of a runner and swimmer.